.............not all those that wander are lost..............

Sunday 14 February 2010

Cross-country Legs...........................

Well, I wish I had some - cross-country legs, that is. Watching the t.v. last night, the Olympic Games Ladies Biathlon Sprint, I realised this was a lost cause for me.

Earlier I had spent the day with my friend Christianne at Arvieux on the x-c trails there. Arvieux is just below the Col d'Izoard - those of you interested in the Tour de France will recognise the name of this iconic 'col' or pass through the mountains. In fact had we been about 30 years younger and had those 'legs' the snowy road over the Col had been tracked for us to ski up!

We chose to do something a little more gentle!

It was a good day to go out.  The French school holiday crowd from this week past had all gone home and the next week's hadn't quite arrived and unpacked - so we more or less had the place to ourselves.

There were a few children (old and young) on toboggans using a rolling carpet thing to get back up the slope.


{Photo of 'tapis roulant'  at Arvieux}

The trails we managed to complete were beautiful snow and not too scary. My problem is that going up I'm rather slow - and coming down I'm not very sure of my snowplough. The skis don't have metal edges like downhill skis so stopping is a life threatening operation!

Anyway, we enjoyed the day.  As well as sore legs and arms my brain hurt all evening having struggled with my rudimentary French all day! I expect Christianne had the same pains after listening to me!

As we drove back home - the cars were arriving for this week's holiday...............................



{Photo looking towards the Col d'Izoard}



Ooops! The G........... are watching me! I'll add the photos later.......

No comments: