.............not all those that wander are lost..............

Tuesday 23 February 2010

Must be just one of those days............

......when things don't quite go according to plan!

First of all the weather isn't co-operating - I had looked forward to a good ski today but with heavy black clouds and a poor forecast that was never going to happen.

So we went shopping instead!

Don't get excited - it was mostly food shopping. Although I did manage to get a pair of small gaiters to stop stuff falling into my boots. They were reduced in the sale in Intersport.

John bagged a new goretex shell jacket for half price. Very jammy!

None of the ski trousers I tried on fitted me - some were ridiculously long in the legs, others wouldn't fasten round my fat middle and one pair were so big they came up to my armpits - very fetching!

Then when we got back and I was unpacking the food, I managed to knock the whole new jar of fenugreek seeds onto the floor. The seeds I had carefully imported into France a couple of weeks ago. Nothing survives a fall onto the tiled floor here - the glass jar exploded all over the place. Too risky to try and save any of the fenugreek - powdered glass doesn't go down too well!

The fire won't stay alight this evening. There's been a lot of rain and sleet in the past 12 hours so the logs are a bit on the damp side. Fortunately it isn't too cold.

The water heater isn't working. It's supposed to back up the solar panels on dull days. But it isn't. A call to the plumber tomorrow morning will be in order I think!


Oh well - we'll see what tomorrow brings...................................(apart from the plumber!)

2 comments:

Piglet said...

Hmmm... I may have imagined it but I was almost sure I'd read a posting on here recently about ski lifts, and the fact that it's rarely possible to walk up instead these days. I've just searched around but I can't find it.

If it was you *g* then you might be interested in this http://sectionhiker.com/2010/02/23/hike-up-ski-down/ if you've not already seen it.

Phew... now I need a cup of tea!

Laura said...

Very interesting article - thanks for that.

Some of the places I ski here in the Southern Alps have marked trails for snowshoeing up next to the ski slopes.
Walking up in Scotland was often the option when the lift broke down!